Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Texas Sized 'Que Event

Webster’s Dictionary defines gluttony as excessive eating: the act or practice of eating or drinking to excess.  If me taking in about 5 pounds off smoked, delicious BBQ at a charity event to the point where I could no longer sit down counts as gluttonous, label me guilty. Last year, I went to a great charity event for Camp Craig Allen. I had such a great time that I wanted to make it a yearly outing to go along with my State Fair of Texas pilgrimage and my blueberry picking trip down to Mineola. The two truths that I have learned in my life as a family man are that if you don’t plan it, it won’t happen and that kids know nothing of the meaning of privacy or personal space, which is completely unrelated but still true.

So this being my second year to this great charity event, I decided to invite some friends to partake in the festivities. Unfortunately, most of them were unable to make it except our good friend Jill and her two young boys whom my 4 year old simply adore. We all packed in the SUV and headed on over to the Bass Pro in Grapevine where the event was being held. 
The three youths at the entrance; probably the last time these kids will be clean though I have my doubts that they were all that clean upon their arrival. They are kids and all.


Getting our plates.

We visited several booths much like this one that were loaded with delicious ribs, tender brisket, slow-cooked beans, smoked chicken, stuffed jalapenos, and a plethora of other dastardly good fare.


After all the sampling, we finally decided to load our plates and sit down to enjoy our bounty. The women seemed to enjoy their plates.
Junior with his delicious grilled corn.

I also enjoyed a few um… maybe a dozen or more ribs.
But at the end of the day, even I had to call it quits. There's only so much a man is able to eat and today, I found out my limit.


There were also games to be had.
And lollipop prizes to win...
There was live music on stage and even the Guinness Record Holder for juggling. He also did some magic tricks and stuff that the kids seemed to enjoy.

The kids smartly found some shade to settled in under.  It was pretty warm out but no where near as bad as last year.

After the mounds of food and the stretching of our waistlines, we hit the Bass Pro for a little fun. 



We could fit three kids in this one rod locker.

All in all, it was a great day with some good friends. I hope this great event returns next year.  Shout out to Big Fish BBQ for making the best mouth watering ribs that I had all day, even if they were extra caramelized. Hopefully next year will be another chance for the family, Jill and clan and even my absent friends to indulge. I’m sorry for the lack of photographs of food. My hands were way too saucy too handle my phone most of the day. 
This was a pretty good warm-up for me since the State Fair is right around the corner. Fletcher’s corn dogs anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Nice write up. Wish I had made it this year but other obligations got in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the continued love & support! Great blog!! See you next year, same place(Bass Pro Shop , Grapevine TX), same second weekend (Sept 7-8th), and more BBQ! Great food, great fun and for a great cause! Love, Your friends at Camp Craig Allen

    ReplyDelete