Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 in the Rearview

I know, I know, we all are reading about how everyone's year has gone and this is just another tale in the same setting. And while I would like to believe my year is worth writing about and worth your time reading, I know we all just realized that another year passed by in a blink and we have all wondered how the time went by so fast. So save your fleeting minutes if you must, if you have some to spare, enjoy.

This year has been one of the best years in my life. In November of last year, I took over Flowerama in Plano and started to see if I could figure out how to be a florist basically from scratch.  Needless to say, it was quite an undertaking. Being thrown right into one of the bigger holidays, Thanksgiving, was sure eye opening. Then Christmas came right around the corner. The moment Christmas ended, we needed to start planning for Valentine's day... and all the talk,  and all the planning, and all the good intentions in the world will never prepare a person for Valentine's day. When over 10,000 roses come and go from your store and you still have customers you have to turn away, it's overwhelming to put it lightly. But we persevered, we survived. We are now busier than ever but still had time to  add quite a few weddings in. We even did our good friend Jenni's wedding. It was beautiful and more on that will come in the future.

Michelle at the Shop
From Jenni's Wedding designed by Shelly

For another wedding also designed by Shelly



Now, onto the fun parts of the past year. And my tops top list. Speaking of Shelly. She was the best decision I made all year.  Hiring her was a no brainer and luckiest decision I got to make all year.


Yes this is Shelly and yes those are vegetables. She's a little off for sure.

What was the best bite of food I ate all year? You would think it would be a medium rare steak cooked with a slightly charred and peppered crust a well smoked brisket or something but surprisingly enough, it was a strawberry papaya I bought in Hawaii at a farmers market that I never knew existed but can't shake out of my mind. I dream of this fruit on occasion. It is just that good.

I took this photo off Google since mine didn't last long enough to photograph

Best crazy photo of Vinh this year. With so many odd faces and weird poses this kid throws out there, it was hard weeding through so many but this one is definitely my favorite.


There is just something wrong with this child.



Proudest moment as a father? Cora making the regional volleyball club team of course. She's been really getting into volleyball more and more and she is quite dedicated. I had coached her for 3 years prior and for her to still be able to make the club team in spite of my terrible coaching is an example of her awesomeness for sure.

My last moment of coaching my little girl. My they grow up so fast.


Best party I had been to this year? There have been an alarmingly high number of them this year. My liver and a number of unfortunate photos circulating around can attest to that. But our neighbors sure know how to rock out a 4th of July party like no one's business. Great food, roof diving and kayaks. Well done friends, well done.
Rob and Tammy's roof diving free for all

Best thing I cooked? Well I don't know if it was the best thing I cooked but this was by far what I was the most excited about cooking and it turned out pretty decent. Low and behold: pastrami!!


Look at how moist and juicy. Look at the crust. Now go slap your momma.

Favorite aforementioned unfortunate photos that involved neighborhood cronies and booze?  

Long live the East Side Panthers and all hail Deanna


What I will remember most from my eating expeditions for the year? How it's been over 15 years since my last trip to Salt Lick in Driftwood and I finally got the chance to go and enjoy some of the best ribs ever and I ordered enough for myself only to have Michelle, an avid rib hater, devour more than half my rib rack. She's just lucky she is so cute.

She knows she's eaten one too many of my ribs.

What every man secretly thinks about building in their backyard.


Last but not least, may favorite band of miscreants. I love these three people a wicked bunch and look forward to 2015 and all of our adventures to come.


What does a 2nd grader and a 6th grader have in common? Cuteness that's what.

 

So farewell friends. I'd promise to blog more often but we both know I will be lying so see you when I see you next time. Enjoy your life, hoped you are enjoying every moment and smile once in a while. You deserve it. To 2015 and a year full of living.









No comments:

Post a Comment